Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Della Robbia



A couple of weeks ago, we were invited to dinner at Karen Dunn and Dan Rusanowsky’s house. I always look for excuses to play with flowers so I asked if I could bring flowers. I called my very talented friend, Tracy Lou, who also loves flowers. Tracy and I met in the beginning floristry class at College of San Mateo. I have only taken three classes there; Tracy has taken many more and is a far better florist than I am. She also has a great sense of style.



The usual scenario is that I get a big idea in my head, I call Tracy to brainstorm, and then I go to the San Francisco Flower Mart for materials. I love working with Tracy because we have so much in common. We are both software developers, though I retired from the profession ten years ago, and we both have at least one Chinese parent. We crack up whenever we use computer terms to describe an idea, and we love quoting our talented teacher, Wendy Pine. Tracy is the one who reigns in my ideas and makes sure we get to completion. I always love the results when I work with Tracy.


This was the first time to Karen and Dan’s house but I knew that they loved Italy and that they travel there often. I decided we needed to make a Della Robbia arrangement in a footed container. Della Robbia is the fancy Italian term for arrangements made with fruit. We have never made an arrangement like this before but I am pleased with the results.



Karen set a gorgeous table and I think the flowers blended in very well:


The evening was filled with stimulating conversation , great food and wine, and new friendships. Thank you Karen and Dan, you were fantastic hosts! And thank you, Tracy, you’re the best!

6 comments:

tangobaby said...

That's so pretty! As I've seen your arrangements in person I bet these were stunning!

Dutchbaby said...

Thanks, tangobaby!

Anonymous said...

the color choices for your arrangement is stunning! love the contrast and all those unusual things you used! bravo! have a great SF weekend. will you see TB? wish i were there :(

Dutchbaby said...

Thank you, robin bird! I was very excited to find the lipstick fruit and the purple artichokes.

We had a great time in SF. Since it was a book club trip, I did not get to see TB. Watch for my next few posts to find out what we did.

Relyn Lawson said...

So... You're invited to dinner at my house any time. With or without the flowers. Although, any flowers that gorgeous shame the food. So beautiful. You've got talent, my friend.

Dutchbaby said...

I would love to bring some flowers to your dinner table! I would love to use those killer peonies your neighbor shares with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share