Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dale Chihuly at the De Young Museum - Continued


DSC02660  Dale Chihuly

This post is a continuation of my previous post touring Dale Chihuly's exhibit at the De Young Museum during the summer of 2008.

My favorite part of the 12,000 square foot installation was the Boat Room, where two wooden boats were placed on highly reflective black glass.

DSC02651 Dale Chihuly canoe reflection 


One boat was filled with Nijima Floats, inspired by the small Japanese fishing floats Chihuly used to find on the shores of Puget Sound when he was a child. 

The Ikebana Boat, was filled with glass floral forms.

DSC02247  Dale Chihuly


_____

The Chandelier Room housed Chihuly's iconic designs. 
I'd seen a chandelier in a Barcelona restaurant when I was traveling. There was a chandelier hanging at eye level over each table, because the room had a low ceiling. And it was really beautiful. I loved this idea of hanging a chandelier at eye level. It triggered something that said that now I could make a chandelier, because it doesn't have to be functional.
--Dale Chihuly 
DSC02257  Dale Chihuly


...The parts can be bulbous, long and twisted, short and spiraled, or even frog-toed. Hung together, the many pieces that make up each Chandelier create a unified, though complex, composition.
--Dale Chihuly

DSC02255  Dale Chihuly

DSC02256  Dale Chihuly

Orange Hornet Chandelier was installed in my old loft space in the Railway Building. One great story is that the color was so intense at night, with low voltage light on, we used to get calls because people thought the space was on fire. I always liked that one.

--Tracy Savage, Savage Fine Art, Portland, Oregon



DSC02253  Dale Chihuly


The blue Urchin Chandelier provided a wonderful contrast in texture.

DSC02652 Dale Chihuly blue sea urchin


_____


 The Macchia Forest looked like a prehistoric garden.


I pushed Billy Morris to make Macchia bigger and bigger and bigger. By the time we got done, we were making Macchias about three feet high and three feet wide. At the time, that was the largest glass I'd ever made, and some of the largest glass that had ever been made.
--Dale Chihuly


DSC02643 Dale Chihuly


Pushing the envelope of the medium comes with risk and reward:
It's important that we lose pieces. You get there faster, I think, by losing pieces, because you're pushing yourself and you know how far to come back.
--Dale Chihuly

Yet Chihuly and his team never strayed from their artistry; they didn't create these just for the sake of their grand scale. 

DSC02646 Dale Chihuly

_____

I have a special affection for this red and black object, showcased on the Venetian Wall, because it looks like three-dimensional calligraphy.

DSC02629 Dale Chihuly

Putti are these little characters, they're male, and they were used in Renaissance and Baroque times, and they were put up in the churches, or in the paintings--they were carved out of wood or made of plaster. And they were meant to make people feel good. And to get people together...and maybe they were a little mischievous. They were just meant to suggest a good time, and they looked good. And they probably made people think about youth and this was a great symbol.
--Dale Chihuly

DSC02628 Dale Chihuly


_____

I felt like I was on an exotic snorkeling excursion when I walked under the Persian Ceiling 

DSC02263  Dale Chihuly


I caught myself spotting for Putti swimming among the aquatic forms.

DSC02656 Dale Chihuly

Although Chihuly forms are essentially abstract, they seem nature-based. The undulating sides, swirling lips, and progressively spaced stripes suggest they may have been shaped by eddying water or gusts of wind. Though the scalloped edges are in fact stationary, their apparent fluidity hints at potential movement like the swaying of organisms responding to tidal changes. 
--David Bourdon, "Chihuly, Climbing the Wall"
Art in in America, June, 1990

DSC02269  Dale Chihuly

_____

Mille Fiori  looks like it came directly from Lewis Carroll 's imagination. This grand glass garden rises out of a 12' x 56' reflective platform.

DSC02662  Dale Chihuly

People have asked what inspired me to do the Mille Fiori. It wasn't so much trying to replicate plants as it was a way to work with all the techniques we've learned over the last thirty-five, forty years.
--Dale Chihuly

DSC02664  Dale Chihuly

The idea of the Nijima Floats was not only to make them big, but to use a lot of color in different ways. 

--Dale Chihuly

DSC02668  Dale Chihuly

DSC02669  Dale Chihuly

DSC02666  Dale Chihuly

I have to say that it gives me great satisfaction that I am often able to bring members of the public into a museum, who don't normally go to museums, and that the membership increases. So a new type of person is brought in to see my work, and not only my work, whatever else is inthe museum at that time. 
--Dale Chihuly

I dedicate these two posts to John Edward Buchanan, Jr. whose collaboration with Dale Chihuly brought 400,000 visitors to the Fine Art Museums of San Francisco. He lost is battle with cancer on December 30, 2011.

Update (April 17, 2012): Click here to see how Chihuly repeats many of these components for the exhibit at the Halcyon in London.
_____
All quotes from: Chihuly, Dale. Chihuly: 365 Days. New York: Abrams, 2008. Print.

14 comments:

Patricia said...

I know that SF used to be known for light shows but wow, this is quite a different trip! Thanks for posting so many pix to share the experience.

George said...

Wow, wow, wow! These are amazing works of art. Oh how I would love to seem them in person. I'm delighted, however, that you have made them available to us online. The colors are just stunning!

Ginnie Hart said...

Unbelievably elegant and sensual, DB! I can see why anyone would want to absorb themselves in his work. If ever I have a chance to see a larger collection like this (now that I know how much Astrid loves glass!), I will go. For now, I'm happy with the handful of pieces I've see at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens as well as what you have shown us here. Your presentation is as exquisite as his work!

Vagabonde said...

What incredibly beautiful photographs of Chihuly’s work. Your photos and text make for a wonderful post. Chihuly’s colors are so vibrant and the shapes amazing. What a fantastic exhibit this must have been. I am pleased you took so many photos and shared them with us. I saw some of his work in West Palm Beach, Fl and became a fan instantly.

Kala said...

These images are a feast for the eyes. Thanks for sharing this beautiful exhibit!

Lisa Gordon said...

It's hard to imagine so much color and beauty all in one place. Really breathtaking. Thank you so much for taking us along with you!

Marilyn Miller said...

My mouth is gaping in awe! No words can describe how beautiful his glass is. Oh how I would have loved this show. Spectacular. I agree the boats are beautiful.

rochambeau said...

Truly amazing is the work of Dale Chihuly (and assistants). The environment created is dreamlike, other world, underwater wondrous. Thank you for sharing more. All your photographs are great!! Your settings were impeccable!
Especially it is fascinating to see the photos including the people included both for scale and to see how the light of the glass reflected on them.
Hows life?

xox
C

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Patricia,
The pleasure was entirely mine!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear George,
I felt privileged to have seen this incredible exhibit. I hope you will have a chance to see Chihuly's work before long. I think his work would appeal to your love for abstract art.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ginnie,
Thank you.

Welcome to the world of glass-art lovers. It's probably just as well that I live in earthquake country, because I could get into serious trouble collecting this fragile art form.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Vagabonde, Kala, Lisa, Marilyn, and Rochambeau,
Thank you all for taking the time to look at these photos. I'm happy you came along on this tour.

Ellie said...

I just went to a (much smaller) Chihuly show today and found your post while I was researching for my own! Have put a link to you, hope you don't mind. You can check it out here

http://elliemeure.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/chihuly-at-halcyon.html

It was so nice to see your photos!

Ellie

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ellie,
Thanks for the link; I enjoyed your post very much. Your photographs are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share