Monday, November 3, 2008

The Seed of Inspiration

Relyn posed a great question. What inspires you? Inspiration is a huge word isn't it?

Nature gives me great inspiration. Untouched nature cannot be improved upon. Like a gorgeous landscape:

or a creature in the wild:


Love, of course:




But a perfect painting can also make my heart do cartwheels.



or a great Olympic performance:


or a perfectly prepared dish:


One knows immediately when all the heart and soul has gone into an effort, and that’s when it’s inspirational.

Photos:
Girl with a Pearl Earring - essentialvermeer.com
Michael Phelps - flickr thaines
French Laundry dish - flickr carendt242

4 comments:

tangobaby said...

I just watched that movie again the other night. Of course now I can't but think of you when I do!

Thanks for the reminder about the French Laundry. I keep the little laundry pin and menu right on my desk. Yummmm.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, Michael Phelps! Talk about an inspiration. I have been so grateful for the summer Olympics. I teach my students about goal setting and we set goals each week and each quarter. Michael Phelps has been such an incredible example to draw from when talking about how important goals are in achieving greatness. I also loved our two man team volleyball girls because they give Sloane such encouragement with regard to her height.

Oh, there is inspiration to be found everywhere.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I have had the framed print of Veneer's Girl With the Pearl Earring hanging in my house for over 20 years now. It is a favorite! You have written a very wonderful post with dazzling photos. Thanks for sharing! Katie

Dutchbaby said...

Dear tb,
I forgot to mention the movie "The Girl with a Pearl Earring". Every scene looks like it was composed by Vermeer himself!

Wasn't that a memorable afternoon?

Dear Relyn,
Oh, Michael Phelps indeed!

Volleyball is a great sport for girls. Here in California girls can join a volleyball club team at age nine. My daughter played volleyball for three years and it was a fantastic experience for her. All those hours together in the car also did wonders for our relationship.

Dear ragamuffin gal,
Welcome to my blog!

Did you know that Tracy Chevalier used the poster hanging in her college dorm room as inspiration for writing "The Girl with a Pearl Earring"?

Thanks for your kind words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share