Friday, November 21, 2008

Jeffrey Tillou Antiques - Litchfield, CT


After I left White Flower Farm I stumbled upon a beautiful antique store in Litchfield, CT. Jeffrey Tillou Antiques specializes in 18th and 19th century American art. I love folk art, so my heart sang as I walked through the store. I am so grateful I was allowed to take photos!
The carousel horse in the window did a great job of luring customers inside. It immediately made me think of my best friend from high school who restores carousel horses for a living. I love being able to say that! Learn about Lise Liepman's studio here.
Speaking of horses, horse lovers can appreciate these weather vanes:



Speaking of weather vanes, this one's great. How great would this be to point the way during a wedding? I can also see myself using an image like this to say "see reverse side" on a brochure.




This photo is dedicated to Dr. Robin at Bird Tweets. Maybe she can tell us what those keys unlock and what the bird is tweeting about.


I was familiar with cross stitch samplers, but I had never seen family records that were done in calligraphy:










My inner calligrapher was very inspired. That day I decided that some day, in my spare time, I might make a family record like these. I thought the eagles give it a flair of authenticity so I started photographing the eagles displayed around the store for inspiration. Plus my mother makes patriotric quilts, she will appreciate these too:


love that camel:

A patriotic quilt to inspire my mother:



White Flower Farm and Jeffrey Tillou Antiques make for a very good day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe it but the typepad verifier deleted my comment and i couldn't even sign in. sheesh. now what did i say... i said that dr. tweets was away from the office and wasn't good with keys. i said i was gratified to see you were going strong with your blog. and i also said that i was glad i checked back to my last comment since you had so sweetly written a comment in return. now lets see if we can't get this thing to work...
XOX
nope!! 2 times now it deleted and wouldn't let me sign in but this time i at least copied the comment first.. i will try another route...

Relyn Lawson said...

You always have the most amazing adventures and interesting things to share. I have more to say, but am at work on a Sunday night. I will be back soon with more of what I have to say. I am thinking of you, my friend.

Dutchbaby said...

Welcome back, Robin!

I'm so sorry you had to go through so much trouble to leave a comment. I just turned off comment moderation, it should be easier now. I'm still new at this blogging stuff, please bear with me.

Thanks so much for going through the trouble!
xoxo
d

Dear Relyn,

At work on a Sunday night? I'm in awe of your dedication! Thanks for stealing some time to leave a note!

xoxo
d

A Cuban In London said...

Lovely post and I can see why you like these horses so much. I had so much fun going through the images you posted.

Greetings from London.

Dutchbaby said...

Thank you, Cuban! I'm glad you liked the horses. I hope you had a chance to visit my Lise Liepman's website. She is quite talented.

Relyn Lawson said...

I work every Sunday night. If I didn't, our Mondays would be horrid. Anyway, on to more interesting things. Your post.

I am surprised he let you take photographs. How did you get them to let you? I almost always get a strong , not very polite "NO!" I guess I need to learn to ask more nicely. I dunno.

Anyway. Those weather vanes are fabulous. I love Robin's whimsical one so much. I completely love your idea of using the arrow weather vane at a wedding. That's the florist in you, talking, isn't it?

The quilt is, of course, amazing. Actually, I'm eager to see more of your Mom's work.

Take care.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Relyn,

I was surprised also. I even sent them a link to the post, just so they can send me a note to cease and desist if they so desire. I think they visited the post but left no note :-))

As a calligrapher I'm fascinated with arrows - yes I have very strange obsessions - but they come in quite handy during events too.

Anonymous said...

I just love the painted horse in the window. I wonder where one could put it/how big a place you would need to have something like that? I'm speaking, of course, from someone with a tiny little place. The horse is about as big as my kitchen!

I can see it in a picture window . . . it would be very nice.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Anne-Marie,
I love the horse also and I have the same problem with space as you do. If you like carousel horses, you may want to visit my friend Lise Liepman's website that I mention in the post.

Thank you for touring around the blog! I'm honored.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share