Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bouquets to Art 2009 - Gala Night


A couple of weeks ago, my friend Stephanie asked me if I was going to the Bouquets to Art gala night at the De Young Museum. I told her I was not because I was already planning to go with some friends on Thursday. When I told my family about Stephanie’s call, they all encouraged me to go anyway. “You love this event; you should just go” was the chorus. My husband was going to be out of town; in reality, I think the kids looked forward to an evening without their parents. I’m thrilled I went because it turned out to be a very fun evening.  

Wilsey Court was washed with the orange glow of the multitude of up lights lining all the walls. Elegantly-dressed flower and art lovers enjoyed the open bar and the sushi as it was being prepared by Dan McCall’s capable catering staff.

  

The tent next to the café was decorated with unabashed glitz and glam, complete with disco balls and ostrich feathers. 

The service was impeccable and the food was top drawer. There was a myriad of main course choices, including coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, and a vegetarian option.

Loads of yummy side dishes: 


The café was filled with a generous selection of desserts. If only I knew, I would have saved more room…

 


But enough about the food, there was another gala-only event. Bay Area students of floristry and fashion were invited to participate in a competition inspired by the Yves St. Laurent exhibition that is currently on display at the museum. There were many fantastic entries but unfortunately most of my photos did not turn out due to flash restriction and the limited available light. 

One of my floristry classmates made this beautiful dress of rose petals and crystals:

 

The winner of the competition used woven grasses, orchids, chrysanthemums, and galex leaves


As much fun as it was to see this competition and to enjoy the food and drink, I loved running into so many friends from the flower world. I chatted with my floristry teachers, fellow students and it was great fun to see so many friends from the San Francisco Flower Mart, all gussied up in their finest, sans fingerless gloves. Plus, many of the exhibiting floral artists attend the gala, so this was a great opportunity to talk to them and learn about their methods and approach.

All in all, I am so glad Stephanie called and my family encouraged me to go; it was a perfectly wonderful evening.

But hey, you say, what happened to the Bouquets to Art? Please stay tuned…

Note: Flash photography is prohibited in the museum; please forgive some of these woefully underexposed evening photos.

8 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

What a wonderful evening. I am so glad you went! That's always my mantra - just go. Say yes every single time you can. Plus, we all get vicarious pleasure when you go on these adventures.

I am absolutely stunned. They are wearing their dresses. Actually wearing them. It would be one thing to design a dress for a mannequin, but these dresses had to move and hold up. And hold together. Amazing.

LoisW said...

Wow! What a glamorous event! I love living vicariously through you! Great pics!

Ruth said...

So much design abundance! Must have been luxurious.

Was it you who asked me to post more photos of my grandpa Sidney? Anyway, I wanted to mention that I did post them - my next to last post.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Relyn,
The winning dress was so beautifully tailored; I think the winner ought to go on "Project Runway".

Dear Middle Aged,
It was ultra glam for certain!

Dear Ruth,
Thanks for let me know about your post. It was wonderful!

Sherri said...

I don't think I've ever seen dresses adorned with flowers. I guess you wouldn't need any perfume. :)

Yoli said...

I wish I had been there!

My Castle in Spain said...

and me too ! such a pleasant and lavish event...
and the petal dresses are to die for !

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Postcards,
That's a very good point!

Dear Yoli,
I wish you had been here too!

Dear Castle,
How fun it would be to have all my blogger friends here for the next Bouquets to Art. You would be a great model for one of the floral dresses, Lala!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share