Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fogbay

Today I would like to celebrate one of the hidden treasures of San Francisco. Five days per week, Ramsey posts to his wonderful photo and history blog Fogbay. Whether you are a native or perspective tourist, his blog is worth a visit every day. If you are a San Francisco ex-pat, he will tug at your heartstrings with longing. His images have appeared on Dutchbaby in the past, but here is a larger sampling. It is worthwhile to follow the links below the photos to read his posts.

He takes stunning photos of the iconic places in the City:

 

Palace of Fine Arts

but he will also tell you about the gardener who maintains the beautiful gardens at the foot of Coit Tower :

 

Coit Tower

One of my favorite buildings in San Francisco is the City of Paris building, currently occupied by Neiman Marcus.



City of Paris Building

He gives excellent advice for tourists:

 

Barbary Coast

He is not squeamish about telling the violent side of a story, as in the story behind the top photo.

He finds interesting historic nuggets to share for every photo, even from culinary history:

Big Squid Chinatown

He finds unique places to visit that many natives don’t know about. If you are a runner, you may consider running near Fort Point and tag Hopper’s Hands when you reach the end of the trail:

 

Hopper’s Hands

Even your pooch has a place to tag:

 

Ramsey is nearing his 1,000th post, so there are many, many more posts here to wile away the time.

9 comments:

LoisW said...

Ok, that does it... I'm moving to California!! These are absolutely stunning.... Thanks for the heads up about Ramsey!

FogBay said...

Wow, I'm honored and flattered by this post about FogBay. I really appreciate you taking the time to highlight the blog. I must say that I thought of your comments when I posted today's salacious story.

I also wanted to pass along some news, the travel editor from the UK Guardian contacted me about FogBay and wants me to blog about San Francisco for their web site.

So while I'll probably be receiving a knighthood soon, I'll continue to post bawdy stories about how the Mimosa was invented here.

Thanks again,

- Ramsey

Tomate Farcie said...

Great idea! His blog is billiant, totally deserves the plug!

Rebekah said...

These pictures are jaw dropping beautiful. Wow! Thanks for the introduction. See, this is what I mean. I would never have found this fantastic new blog had I not read your comment on Paris Parfait and felt a connection!

After many trips to San Francisco, I made the rounds a few years ago with a young associate who kept telling me we had to go to Neiman's. I put her off and put her off and finally told her that was a little above my shopping budget. She said, "No. I'm not going to shop! I'm going to meditate under the dome." It was DEFINITELY worth the visit! Fantastic.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, goodie - a place to while away the time till July - dreaming and planning.

Emily said...

Great photos! I'll have to check him out. The squid is, wow...let's just say I was born and raised in a land locked state!! A very sheltered life. LOL!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Middle Aged,
Oh I would love that. Make sure you make that Northern California!

Hey Ramsey, er, I mean Sir Ramsey,
Congratulations on your commission! So well-deserved. Did I miss the Mimosa story?

Thank you for your beautiful blog!

Dear Tomate,
Thanks for popping over to Dutchbaby! I know we are fellow Fogbay groupies.

Dear Rebekah,
I love that idea! Next time you come to San Francisco, let's make a date to meditate under the Neiman Marcus dome. Have you had the popovers in their restaurant yet? The ones the serve before lunch? With strawberry butter? Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Dear Relyn,
Yes, you have a lot of homework ahead of you!

:-)

Dear Jemm,
Would you like that squid raw or sautéed ?

A Cuban In London said...

That's why I like popping over twice or more per week. You always manage to have some very stunning images. The first one is to die for. I have been looking at it for a good ten minutes. I love foggy days because autumn is my favourite season, followed closely by spring.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. The lyrics of that song I made that rather amateurish clip for are about friendship and that was the subject that gave me the idea for the shortie. Most of my friends have left Cuba and when I was there recently I sat down with two good friends who still live there and they both told me that they were struggling to make ends meet. The song is also an allegory to those of us who have chosen a path as far from our homeland as possible, but who still carry the Cuban flag and our alligator-shaped island in our hearts wherever we go. Many thanks for your comment.

Greetings from London.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Cuban,
Thank you for popping over! I always love your visits. Ramsey has a great eye and is a wonderful historian. I have learned so much from him.

Your song is wonderful and I'm so glad you shared it with all of us. I watched some of your other YouTube clips; I enjoyed them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share