Sunday, February 27, 2011

Favorite Beverages of the Winter 2011 Fancy Food Show

IMG_2133 Vignette Wine Country Soda

Judging from the number of beverages Tracy and I chose to taste at the Winter Fancy Food Show, I must conclude that we must have been very thirsty. Here is a sampling of our favorites.

Vignette Wine Country Soda

If you are looking for a sophisticated alternative to sparkling cider, Vignette Wine Country Soda is an elegant solution. This non-alcoholic, sparkling soda is made with pinot noir or chardonnay wine grapes.

IMG_2130 Vignette Wine Country Soda

It has a clean, refreshing taste that is not overly carbonated and not too sweet. In fact, it has no added sugar and does not contain the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup.

IMG_2131 Vignette Wine Country Soda

The rosé  has a gorgeous bright color and would be perfect to serve for a baby shower. The mother-to-be can still join in the fun and drink her "wine".

Beer Salt

Image from Twang

I remember the first time I was in Mexico, a local bartender instructed me to lick salt sprinkled on top of my closed fist before drinking a swig of beer and then finishing it off by biting into a wedge of lime. This trifecta comingled into a perfect burst of flavors. Twang has now offers tiny six-packs of lime-flavored salts designed to be sprinkled directly onto the neck of the beer bottle. No more sticky hands and lime pulp between the teeth.

They also carry a line of very attractive rimming salts. I would love to try the Sour Apple or the Bloody Mary Chili Lime sea salt flavors. 

IMG_2121 Beer Salt


IMG_2123 Cocktail Sugar

Republic of Tea

Mel and Patricia Ziegler didn't rest on their laurels after they sold The Banana Republic to The Gap. In fact, they decided to move mountains of tea leaves when they founded The Republic of Tea in 1992. The company's current Minister of Tea, Ron Rubin, continues to run the highly successful business in a socially and environmentally responsible fashion.

IMG_2134 Republic of Tea

With close to 250 items in their product line, there is a tea to suit even the most selective tea lovers.

IMG_2136 Republic of Tea

Sportastic Sports Drink

IMG_2129 Sportastic

We didn't get a chance to taste the Sportastic sports drink, but Tracy and I are looking forward to recommending this attractive drink to a client for an upcoming bar mitzvah with a baseball theme. Fortified with B vitamins and with only 4 grams of sugar, instead of Gatorade's or Powerade's 35 grams, the parents should be pleased with this healthier alternative.

One Fresh Cup Coffee

IMG_2115 One Fresh Cup

One Fresh Cup is the ideal product for the any traveler to kick-start a morning with a great cup of coffee in the hotel room. The disposable, built-in filter makes it convenient to brew a cuppa from real ground coffee, which I'm sure will taste far superior to drinking dissolved instant coffee granules. I was most impressed that they offered  my favorite coffee variety, Sumatra, along with my husband's favorite, French  Roast. I can't wait to try my Sumatra sample on my next trip.

Now that I'm fully hydrated, I'm going to look for something to eat.
Enhanced by Zemanta

30 comments:

CC said...

What fun.
Never knew the Republic of Teas history
and the wine soda sounds wonderful.

Thanks for sharing the fun, as always.

C

Ginnie Hart said...

LOL at you, DB. My senses would be revved up high at a place like this. So many options; so little time! :)

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh yes, I would have had a good time had I been with you!!! Looks like a fantastic outing!!

Marilyn Miller said...

You do entice me with these beautiful products. I so want to attend the Fancy Food Show someday.

Anonymous said...

the wine/soda sounds great & can't wait to get a bottle! =)

you messaged on Barn Charm about joining in - I hold Barn Charm every Monday evening/Tuesday, so feel free to join in anytime... we'd love to see some from your neck of the woods! =)

Margaret said...

Fun! And your photography is wonderful - especially that first shot.

dona said...

Sorry, I'm deeply Italian and I can't see such beverages like the "Vignette Country Soda"...
Enjoyed your photos! :)

Anonymous said...

And you didn't invite me?? Now this looks like one tasty and fun day!

susanna said...

What a COOL event to go to with a friend! I like the packaging for Vignette and no doubt it tastes delicious. Great idea about serving it to mom-to-be at her baby shower. Also, although I rarely drink beer, the Twang salts would make a good gift for someone I know. Thank you for all the terrific links.

rochambeau said...

Hello Diana,
Thank you and Tracy for letting me come along too! The Vignette Wine Country Soda most intrigues me! Also, today I was drinking some Republic of Tea, tea. Noelle gave it to me before she left. It's fascinating to read how business savvy the Ziegler's are!

I have a book to recommend to you!!
It is called: Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons.
http://www.amazon.com/Peachtree-Road-Anne-Rivers-Siddons/dp/0061097233

I leaned of it while reading Pat Conroy's My Reading Life. I'm going to send to you this book to keep after my mother finishes it.

xox
Constance

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of the Vignette Wine Country Soda. There is a sore lack of adult soft drinks that aren't highly carbonated or filled with sugar. I hope some filters through to a shop near us at some time!

Pretty Zesty said...

It's been a while since I've been to a tasting. Need to fix that!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear CC,
I didn't know about the Republic of Tea's history either. It's amazing how much one learns whilst blogging.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ginnie,
I've been to this show so many times now, I consider myself a veteran. It's all about pacing and preserving the palate.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear lisa,
Come on down next January - let's make it a party!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Marilyn,
If you come next January also, maybe we can get a group rate at a hotel in SF.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Tricia,
I hope you find some of that soda.

Thanks for letting me know about your barn challenge. I hope to participate one of these Mondays.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Margaret,
Why thank you, Ma'am :)

Dutchbaby said...

Cara Dona,
I love your deep Italianess and respect that you voiced your opinion.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear tchesney,
Consider yourself invited for next year!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear susanna,
It is a very cool event. One of my favs of the year. I like the idea of giving Twang salts as a gift -- or to bring to a party with a six-pack of Mexican beer.

Ruth said...

Oh goodie, Dutchbaby's food show coverage has begun . . .

I want the Vignette Wine Country Soda for our bridal shower tomorrow (there will be no wine). It looks light and lovely, a nice alternative to punch (and how). And don't those men look nice serving it up. Maybe they'd come serve it at the shower, you think?

The beer salt is way cool. The packaging! And then flavored salts! Where have I been?

I love hearing about the Zieglers, which I did not know. They are some business folks, no? I have long admired the Republic of Tea projects at the coffee shops I visit, for their aesthetic as much as their flavors.

And One Fresh Cup is brilliant.

Yummy, Dutchbaby, and yay.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Constance,
Maybe you can come to SF next January and join us? I loved learning about the Zieglers and their "Republic" companies. Some people are just born to be business people.

Thanks for the book recommendations; I just finished "Cutting for Stone". It was a great read!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear angelcel,
The best feature was that this drink was not cloyingly sweet, unlike so many pop drinks.

Vagabonde said...

So many delectable food and drinks! I really enjoy looking at your pictures. That reminds me about my mother and I going to “La Foire de Paris.” We did that many times. We would try so many samples of wine that we had to go in a park and sit for a while as we would get tipsy… but it was fun.

Relyn Lawson said...

See what I mean?

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Kris,
Yes you do. I look forward to reading all about it.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ruth,
I'm afraid this year's coverage is cut short because I lost about half of my photos due to a bad memory card. I will never buy an unfamiliar brand again, no matter how desperate I am.

Vignette Wine soda at a bridal shower would be perfect; especially if served by these sophisticated gents.

As for the Zieglers, I'm convinced that some people were just born to be successful in business.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Vagabonde,
I love the image of you and your mother's wine tasting excursions. I never did that in Paris, but I fondly remember tasting many wonderful foods at Fauchon!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Relyn,
You are too kind!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share