Friday, October 14, 2011

"America, Let It Shine" Quilt by Sherry Reynolds

DSC06832 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

Yesterday I took my mother to the Pacific International Quilt Festival XX in Santa Clara. If you are only going to see one quilt, I recommend you battle your way to the masterpiece "America, Let It Shine" by Sherry Reynolds. You may have to wait a bit before you can see it in its entirety.

  DSC06828 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

In the mean time, you may start by reading the tag. You will understand that the use of graph paper explains how Reynolds achieved absolute precision and uniformity of symmetry.

DSC06829 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

You'll be impressed that she used a 20-year-old Bernina 1001 to create the free motion quilt design.

DSC06827 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

The quilt is steeped with symbolic meaning.  The thirteen original colonies are represented in the border's blue rays and red triangles:

DSC06826 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

The 4,886 Swarovski crystals that embellish this quilt represent the sum of the 4,543 words of the Constituion, 312 words of the Star Spangled Banner, and 31 words of the Pledge of Allegiance.

DSC06833 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds


Reynolds incorporated parts of American history by using parts of the Declaration of Independence, the Preamble of the Constitution, and the Gettysburg Address.


DSC06840 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds = the pursuit of happiness

You will know that her goal to create "a tribute to America, our foundations and values, with the hope that they will guide us to a brighter future" was achieved from top to bottom and front to back. 

DSC06824 America, Let It Shine - Sherry Reynolds

The show runs through Sunday at the Santa Clara Convention Center. More information here.

23 comments:

CC said...

What an incredible quilt.
I wish my dear old friend Jane Flory Freedman were here to see this work. She was a stupendous Quilter herself and this would have blown her mind.

Thanks so much for sharing!

OOXX, CC

Kala said...

The exquisite details and colors in that quilt are so amazing!

Marilyn Miller said...

That is one impressive quilt, amazing! Thanks for being patient enough to get these beautiful pictures.

Patricia said...

I am not certain which I like more, the front or the back! Thanks for sharing this adventure with us.

London Caller said...

Hello! How are you?
What have you been up to lately?
Went to Kuala Lumpur last week.
Had a great time there.
Tomorrow, will be going to Singapore.
Next week, will be flying back to London.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh wow! The workmanship is incredible!

Ginnie Hart said...

OMG! I'm gobsmacked, DB. Is this going to be on permanent display somewhere important???

Lisa Gordon said...

This is absolutely amazing!
I cannot even begin to image all of the work that went into this.

rochambeau said...

Wow!! This is quilting at it's highest level!! Really do like having the chance to see this very special work of art. Thank you!!

Will be in NOLA after Christmas, hopefully with my Christmas Canon, that is if Santa finds me good. Will you perchance be too?

xox
Constance

Vagabonde said...

That is an absolutely stunning quilt. These types of quilts are real works of art and show much dedication. I have only been to one quilt show and I was totally amazed by the variety and artistry (Quilt Show in Columbus, Oh - http://avagabonde.blogspot.com/search/label/Quilts .) I’d love to go to this one in California, but it’s a bit far. I really enjoyed looking at the quilt and reading your explanations.

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Dutchbaby said...

Dear CC,
The workmanship on this quilt is one of the most impressive I've ever seen. My mother just silently shook her head in disbelief.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Kala,
Yes indeed.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Marilyn,
You're most welcome. I kept myself busy with the close-ups until traffic cleared.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Patricia,
I agree that the reverse side is every bit as beautiful as the front. Sometimes a quilt will be hung so that both sides of the quilt can be easily seen. This quilt would have been a great choice for that type of display.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear London Caller,
You are quite the globetrotter. Hope the jet lag was not too bad.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear EG Wow,
Yes, very impressive.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ginnie,
That's a very good question. I'm guessing that it is still traveling the quilt show circuit.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear lisa,
It's unimaginable how many hours it must have taken.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Constance,
Quilting doesn't get better than this.

Unfortunately, I will not be going to NOLA this Christmas. My daughter is coming home for winter break - can't wait!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Vagabonde,
I truly enjoyed your post on the quilt show. I remember seeing the "Tatiana" tiger quilt at the show here in California. Thanks for sharing your link.

If you are going to travel for a quilt show, this one is totally worth it. The Mancuso brothers produce quilt shows all over the country: http://www.quiltfest.com/quilt_festival.asp

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent photos of this masterpiece.

Nancy R. said...

I am in awe!! What a masterpiece. I do quilting but nothing to compare. Just love it. Nancy R. in Matthews, NC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share