Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blog Camp 1.1 with Bird Tweets and Relyn


DSC06746 Union Square at night
Julochka, the Queen of Blog Camps, baptized our San Francisco adventure as “Blog Camp 1.1”
Here’s a quick executive overview of yesterday. Please forgive the hurried quality of the photos. No doubt, Robin and Relyn will do more thorough, literate and artful posts later, but I’m in a big hurry this morning.
I met Relyn “Thelma” of Come Sit by my Fire and Robin “Louise” of Bird Tweets in front of the magnificent San Franciso Conservatory of Flowers.
DSC06705 San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers
Then we popped over to the M. H. De Young Museum to visit some our favorite artists…
DSC06691 John Singer Sargent
…and Oma’s favorite painting:

DSC06693 Martin Johnson Heade
We tagged Baker Beach to say “hello” to my favorite bridge in the whole wide world:
DSC06702 Golden Gate Bridge from Baker Beach
We had dinner at Biscuits & Blues…
DSC06743 Biscuits & Blues
… to listen to torch singer Lavay Smith
DSC06714 Lavay Smith

…and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers:
DSC06707 Red Hot Skillet Likkers


DSC06720 Jules Broussard saxophone

DSC06713 saxophone hand

We ended the evening with a stroll around the Union Square area (opening photo), where we checked out the lobby of the St. Francis Hotel

DSC06745 Bird Tweets and Relyn

…and did some window shopping. Sadly, in this economy, most merchants are offering deep discounts. Marc Jacobs offered a 70% off sale with only a mild suggestion of consequences if you don’t partake:

DSC06751 Spring Sale 70% off

All in all, it was a very good California day:

DSC06747 Union Square palm tree

12 comments:

My Castle in Spain said...

that's what i call a super cool encounter and a fun fun day !!
enjoy it all!
:-)

Jeffrey said...

Yesterday was amazing!! Top twenty of all time. Next time I say we join the second line.

Relyn Lawson said...

Well, that last one was me on Jeffrey's computer.

Ruth said...

It looks like you did it up and enjoyed yourselves with a wide range of activities. The bridge photo is great! It's so fun to meet in person.

A Cuban In London said...

That's a fantastic Blog Camp experience. And to think that your shared zest for life was the equivalent to the bonfire around which people walk to tell each other stories. Many thanks for such a fantastic post and pictures.

Greetings from London.

margie said...

so jealous of all of you. give that sister robin of ours a hug!!

paris parfait said...

Such lovely images of your fun time together! So glad they're getting your expert guidance around the beautiful city! xo

Pretty Zesty said...

Love the photo of the bridge from the beach!

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed looking at your pictures so much. San Francisco is the town where I lived when I came over from Paris. I lived there almost 10 years, first on Guerrero Street then in the Mission – that was the time when the Haight Ashbury was well known. We left in 1970 just after my daughter was born and I never went back. I’d love to go back but am a bit afraid that it will have changed so much. It is a lovely city and it has a special place in my heart. We were married at the Swedenborgian Church (built in 1895, on Lyons at Washington) on 17 June in 1967 and went to the Monterey Pop Festival as a honeymoon – I had my hair all the way to my waist and my husband had placed flowers all over it – what memories your pictures bring!

Marilyn Miller said...

Love SF and Baker Beach. It does bring back memories of a lifetime ago and living there.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Castle,
You are right! We had a very fun fun day!

Dear "Jeffrey",
Relyn, how adorable you look crossdressing like your husband! You're really getting into the spirit of San Francisco. I agree, next time we will join the second line at Lavay Smith's performance.

Dear Relyn,
There you are! I knew it was you of course, you were sitting right next to me and Robin. It was so fun giggling at our keyboards :-D

Dear Ruth,
It was a ton of fun finally meeting in person.

Dear Cuban,
A bonfire is a great comparison. We shared so many stories, filled with so much laughter, my cheeks still hurt from perpetually smiling.

Dear margie,
Done! Robin enjoyed hearing from you!

Dear paris,
Thank you! We indeed had a fun time together!

Dear Kris,
Thank you! It is a spectacular spot!

Dear Vagabonde,
You lived the iconic life in San Francisco, complete with flowers in your hair. I was in junior high during the summer of love and watched all the free concerts in the Golden Gate Park. Thank you for sharing your amazing story!

Dear Marilyn,
I hope you will have a chance to come back and visit soon!

Yoli said...

Oh the images are lovely!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share