Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blog Camp Marin County Style

DSC06757 Relyn and Miss Peach

We continued our summer adventure with Relyn and Robin Bird by driving north of the Golden Gate Bridge, to Marin County. As luck would have it, Anjie from Studio Wellspring and Little Miss Peach were already in Marin. We agreed to meet at Dipsea Café in Mill Valley:

DSC06756 Dipsea Cafe vintage signs

We did our best to not fight over the baby. After lunch, we drove ten minutes to Muir Woods:

DSC06759 Muir Woods National Monument sign

I was quite taken with this wild rhododendron, which I believe to be a Western azalea (Rhododendron occidentale):

DSC06769 wild rhododendron occidentale

The sun was directly overhead, not exactly conducive for artful photography, but that didn’t stop passionate photographer Robin from doing her level best to overcome the handicap. I look forward to seeing her photos. In the mean time, Relyn, Anjie, and Miss Peach paused for a photo:

DSC06774 relyn anjie and peach

After bidding adieu to Anjie and Peach, we drove for about a half hour, up to the top of Mount Tamalpais. At elevation 2,571 feet, we got a terrific view of the Bay Area. It was a hazy day, but we could still make out San Francisco, one tower of the Golden Gate Bridge (on the right), the Oakland Bay bridge, Southern Marin, the Richardson Bay Bridge, and Alcatraz Island:

DSC06775 view from Mt Tamalpais

We followed the easy, paved one-mile hike around the peak…

DSC06794 Mount Tamalpais trail

…and enjoyed the views from all directions:

DSC06820 View from <st1:place w:st=

DSC06797 View from <st1:place w:st=

On our way down, we stopped to see the mountain amphitheater. I went to high school in Marin County and received my high school diploma here:

DSC06815 Mount Tamalpais Mountain Theater Relyn Robin

Mount Tamalpais has many madrone trees with beautiful red barks that are cool to the touch. I learned on a school field trip that madrones are sometimes called “refrigerator” trees because Indians used to strap their food onto these trees in order to keep it cool.

DSC06825 Mount Tamalpais madrones detail

I just learned that Relyn and Robin are blogging at an internet café; they may soon tell you about our time at Stinson Beach. I didn't take very many photos there and I am certain theirs are better than mine.

We had a beautiful day of friendship, laughter, and stories as we wound around Highway 1, hugging the Pacific Coast, relishing in the gorgeous weather.

14 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

No, yours are just as good! That view from the hill was spectacular. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

paris parfait said...

I think your shots are good! So lovely to see you all having such a fun time amidst all that Marin beauty. And Anjie and the Peach! Oh I do miss her (and haven't yet met the adorable Peach). xo

paris parfait said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paris parfait said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dutchbaby said...

Dear Cuban,
The view from Mt.Tam is pretty amazing. Too bad it was so hazy.

Dear Paris,
The Peach is the most lovable sweetheart you ever did see!I hope you get to meet her soon!

Yoli said...

Oh what wonderful photos! and you got to meet the sweet Ms.Tweet!!!

Ruth said...

You caught remarkable beauty in those faces and views.

When the weather is so lovely, it feels like another character/guest.

I wish you well in the coming days!

Vagabonde said...

Your post definitely brings back memories I have not thought in years. We had our wedding reception in a French restaurant in Marin County. One of the ushers traveled in bus with many others to Tennessee where they founded a commune, called The Farm. We have not been there yet. I just found their web site, it looks like they have evolved a lot, Here is their site: http://www.thefarm.org/. Also, one of my friends had a beautiful home in Tiburon, on top of a hill overlooking the bay just like the pictures you posted. I’ll try to go to SF next year for our wedding anniversary, that would be a great place to celebrate, but it also will be sad as all our friends are gone from there now. My husband used to know Janice Joplin so we went to many concerts in the area when she was with Big Brother and the Holding Company.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Yoli,
Ms. Tweet is exactly the way you'd imagine her. I was so happy to meet her and Relyn!

Dear Vagabonde,
I feel like I'm reading a book about San Francisco history when I read your comments. I used to see Janice Joplin at the free concerts in park. She was truly memorable! Thank you for sharing your memories.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ruth,
Oops, I didn't mean to skip over you like that. It is so true, weather plays a huge role in a day of sightseeing.

Good luck with the wedding! xoxox

robin bird said...

as you know we never did get to an internet cafe that would let us do our thing. but these photos capture the day beautifully! how well you quietly slip in and out of the action capturing these great moments without us ever knowing. i have never seen so much of my backside! your mountain amphitheater photo is breathtaking!
XOXOX
remember we love you!

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, DB! This was a marvelous, fantastic day. Your post brings back sweet, sweet memories and lots of smiles. What a lot of fun we had!

julochka said...

was traveling last week and only getting here now. love the glimpses of BC: Marin County! yay!! it looks like you had a lovely time and saw many beautiful things. i can only imagine all of the laughter and good times! yay for the blogosphere!!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear robin bird,

Sorry about posting those photos of your backside. I realized that I did not take any photos of your face; I think it usually had a Nikon proboscis. Thanks for making the long drive down from Oregon. I'm so glad you didn't re-enact the final scene of Thelma and Louise!

Dear Relyn,
I loved laughing with you and Robin; I'm so glad I got to share Marin County with you two! Thanks for traveling so far to see us!

Dear julochka,
We had a super duper great time! Blog Camp rocks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share