Friday, November 4, 2011

Traditional Quilts of California at Pacific International Quilt Festival XX

DSC06997 Crazy in Black and White

California quilters had a productive year this year. Here is a sampling of my favorite traditional quilts that were shown in the Pacific International Quilt Festival XX.

Geraldine Nall's miniature wall quilt stopped me in my tracks. She used a mind-boggling 6,300 pieces of fabric to create a quilt that is a mere 23" square. Using only the pineapple blocks pattern, Nall created 140 tiny 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" squares. The result is a stunning, balanced interplay of black and white.

  DSC06998 Crazy in Black and White

Diana Tatro belongs to a group of sixteen quilters that exchanges quilt blocks each year.

DSC07007  Bloomin' Baskets

This year's red and white basket theme created the building blocks that produced a beautiful quilt with unity and rhythm.

DSC07008  Bloomin' Baskets

Holly Casey drew inspiration for this striking blue and gold Dizzy Geese quilt from a book by L. Amanda Owens and Patricia Wilens. I like the trend-setting geese in the lower right corner.

DSC06861 Dizzy Geese

Clem Buzick and Ann Helbling created "Maritime in Red"...

DSC06987 Maritime in Red

...with intricate quilt motifs.

DSC06988 Maritime in Red

Next time, the innovative quilts. 

17 comments:

London Caller said...

They're all very impressive artwork!
Diana Tantro - that sounds like a great club to join. :)

Marilyn Miller said...

Love quilt shows! These are all amazing. I tried to pick my favorite, but they all rank as my favorites. Just gorgeous and amazing work.

Lisa Gordon said...

I am sure is have never seen a black and white quilt before, and I absolutely love these! Truly so gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing these here!

Kala said...

The detail in these quilts is amazing. I absolutely love "Maritime in Red".

Marja said...

What a fantastic quilts My favourite is the top one.
Just wondering are you a Dutch descendent or did you choose the blog name because you love tulips?

Ginnie Hart said...

You and I are both gobsmacked by the minute, intricate details of fine craftsmanship, DB. I'd be in heaven to look at these quilts up close and personal like this!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are gorgeous quilts - so intricate, and a lot of attention to detail.

Margaret said...

I wonder... is all the quilting done by hand?

Dutchbaby said...

Dear London Caller,
Yes, the quilt exchange sounds like a great idea. Certainly less fattening than a cookie exchange.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Marilyn,
I bet it's agonizing to be a judge for this show. My personal favorite of this set is the black and white pineapple-block quilt.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Lisa,
I'm glad to be the first to show you a black and white quilt. Here's a black and white quilt that happens to be the most viewed photo on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godutchbaby/3234612076/lightbox/

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Kala,
The texture created by the quilting in "Maritime Red" is fantastic, isn't it?

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Marja,
I am one fourth Dutch and I love tulips. You can read how my blog name came to be here:
http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2008/12/tangobaby-crowned-princess-of.html

and a little bit about my background here:

http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2009/02/interview-with-relyn.html

Thanks for visiting all the way from New Zealand!

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Ginnie,
It would please me to no end if you and I could pore over these quilts together. Bring comfortable shoes because there are two huge halls filled with quilt after quilt after quilt.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Shasta,
You of all people here, know how much work these quilts are. I'm glad you enjoyed these.

Dutchbaby said...

Dear Margaret,
Most quilts these days are machine quilted because the long-arm machines are so fantastic. There are still hand-quilted entries. They, and hand-pieced quilts, are judged in a category of their own.

Margaret said...

My mother-in-law quits and has now "converted" to machine stitching. Hand-quilted is so precious! Both are works of art, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share